In June 1987, the federal government of Australia authorized the production of platinum coins for the first time. Struck by the Perth Mint, the nation’s first platinum bullion coins debuted in September 1988 with the Australian Platinum Koala. Now, 2023 marks the 35th anniversary of that release and the Perth Mint’s modern Platinum Koala honors that anniversary in style. Right now, 2023 1 oz Australian Platinum Koala Coins are available to purchase online from JM Bullion.
- Arrives in protective acrylic capsules!
- 35th anniversary of the Australian Platinum Koala Series!
- Limited mintage of only 3,000 coins!
- Contains 1 Troy oz of .9995 pure platinum in BU condition.
- Bears a face value of $100 (AUD) backed by the federal government of Australia.
- Memorial bust of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse.
- Original Australian Koala design from 1988 on the reverse.
- P35 mint mark on the reverse.
- Authentication feature on the reverse.
- Original reverse artwork by Michael Tracey.
Each of the 2023 1 oz Australian Platinum Koala Coins available here comes individually packaged in protective acrylic capsules. In honor of the 35th anniversary of the Platinum Koala Series, Perth Mint has revived Michael Tracey’s original 1988 artwork for the first-ever Platinum Koala coin.
Koalas are marsupials, which means they carry their young, called joeys, in a pouch. The pouch is located on the front of the female koala and opens towards the rear. Alongside the kangaroo, another native marsupial, the koala is one of Australia’s most popular and beloved native creatures.
For the obverse of the 2023 Australian Platinum Koala Coin, Perth Mint features the memorial bust of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Designed in 2015 by Jody Clark for the Royal Mint, this right-profile bust of the Queen at the age of 89 includes the George IV State Diadem. This bust is the sixth and final effigy of the Queen to grace Australian coins.
In the reverse design field of 2023 1 oz Platinum Koala Coins, the mint includes Michael Tracey’s 1988 depiction of the koala for the first-ever Platinum Koala coin. In this design, the koala is captured in front-facing relief as it is seated on all four legs. This side of the coin includes the unique P35 mint mark honoring the 35th anniversary of the series.
If you have any questions about platinum coins, please feel free to ask. JM Bullion customer service is available at 800-276-6508, online using our web chat, and via our email address.