shopper approved

    Do you report my purchases to the government?

    Reporting Requirements for Purchases from JM Bullion

    We do not report the majority of precious metals purchases to the government. That being said, we do have an obligation to file Form 8300 in the instance of cash payments over $10,000. The $10,000 minimum also applies to related cash transactions within 24 hours of each other that together total more than $10,000. Please note, cash includes cashier’s checks and money orders with a face value of $10,000 or less.

    Sell-To-Us Reporting Requirements

    Certain products that JM Bullion may purchase from customers are reportable to the IRS. These reportable items require the filing of a Form 1099-B. In order for the Form 1099- B to be filed with the IRS , the customer will need to complete a Form W-9. The Form W-9 should be sent to the customer during the sale negotiation and must be completed and received by JM Bullion prior to  payment for the sale. Forms 1099- B will be mailed to customers by February 15 in the year following the Sell-To-Us.

    The following are guidelines provided by ICTA related to Precious Metal sales, and these guidelines, as well as the IRS rules, are subject to change at any time without notice.


    Reportable Item Minimum Fineness Minimum Reportable Amount
    Gold Bars 0.995 Any size bars totaling 1 Kilo (32.15 troy oz) or more
    Silver Bars 0.999 Any size bars totaling 1000 troy oz or more
    Platinum Bars 0.995 Any size bars totaling 25 troy oz or more
    Palladium Bars 0.9995 Any size bars totaling 100 troy oz or more
    Gold 1 oz Krugerrand as minted Twenty-five (25) 1 oz coins
    Gold 1 oz Maple Leaf as minted Twenty-five (25) 1 oz coins
    Gold 1 oz Mexican Onza as minted Twenty-five (25) 1 oz coins
    U.S. 90% Silver Coins as minted Any combination of dimes, quarters, or half-dollars totaling $1,000 face value or more


    in GeneralSell-To-Us