In an exclusive partnership with the Discovery Channel, the first release in a set of Endangered Species of the World coins has arrived and it focuses on two of Africa’s most at-risk species. The continent’s beloved African Lion and the African Mandrill debut in the first two coin designs of this brilliant colorized series. Today, the 2016 3 oz Niue Silver Discovery Endangered Species of the World Coin Set is available from JM Bullion.
- Ships in a protective, Discovery Channel-themed, display box with individual capsules.
- Maximum mintage set at 700 total sets for global distribution.
- 1st release in the Endangered Species of the World Set.
- Includes a Certificate of Authenticity.
- Each coin contains 1.5 Troy oz of .999 pure silver.
- Individual face values of $2 (NZD) are legal tender in Niue.
- Minted by the New Zealand Mint.
- Colorized obverse design includes Queen Elizabeth II’s portrait (silver) and a view of the globe in its full beauty.
- Reverse of each coin has a colorized image representing the animals species highlighted for the African continent.
- Available in BU condition.
The Endangered Species of the World Set is scheduled to include a total of seven sets, with one to represent each of the continents of the world. Each set will feature two different species, each one indicative of the representative continent.
In the first set released, the African Lion and African Mandrill take center stage. The African lion was once the most widely distributed mammal on planet Earth behind homo sapiens. The King of the Jungle finds its habitat under attack by the encroachment of human beings, and is regularly targeted for sport by poachers.
The African Mandrill is believed to have evolved from the baboon family, but has been proven in recent years to be its own genus. It holds the distinction as the world’s largest monkey species, and was even noted by Charles Darwin as have a color so extraordinary that “no other member in the whole class of mammals” can compare.
On the reverse face of the 1.5 oz Niue Silver African Lion coin in this release is the colorized image of a male African lion as a young cub cuddles up to its face, though the attentive male keeps his eyes fixed in the distance.
The reverse of the 1.5 oz Niue Silver African Mandrill coin also captures its representative mammal in full color. The mandrill is known to exhibit some of the greatest colors of any wild animal species, and is noted in particular for its red beard.
Each coin’s obverse features a colorized image of the globe, with Queen Elizabeth II’s right-profile portrait included. These 2016 1.5 oz Niue Silver Endangered Species of the World Coins are in Brilliant Uncirculated condition, indicating no wear and tear is present, though minor flaws may exist.
Please contact JM Bullion at 800-276-6508, chat with us online, or send us an email if you have any questions.