The American Gold Buffalo was the first coin from the United States Mint to ever feature a gold purity of .9999 fineness. United States Mint coins struck from 1837 to 1986 featured a maximum purity of .900. The American Gold Eagle’s 22-karat gold content changed that in 1986, and the American Gold Buffalo changed it all again in 2006. The 2016 1 oz Proof American Gold Buffalo is available now in a commorative box with a Certificate of Authenticity courtesy of JM Bullion.
- 10th annual release of the American Gold Buffalo coin!
- Coins in this listing ship with a Certificate of Authenticity.
- Ships to you in a commemorative box for a beautiful display.
- Contains 1 troy oz of .9999 pure gold, featuring a proof finish.
- Issued a face value of $50 (USD) by the United States government.
- Obverse features James Earle Fraser’s Indian design from the Buffalo Nickel.
- Reverse bears the image of Black Diamond, the bison that inspired the Buffalo Nickel.
Fraser’s famous Buffalo Nickel, which was in circulation from 1913 to 1938, was inspired by his life growing up on the plains of the Upper Midwest. A native of Winona, Minnesota, Fraser saw what life on the plains was like first hand traveling across the region with his father as a young man.
The American Gold Buffalo coin debuted from the United States Mint in 2006. It was originally available in bullion and proof, with just a 1 oz. weight. In 2008, the US Mint experimented with an expansion of the proof program that included fractional weight coins, but has not returned to that since.
On the obverse of the 2016 1 oz Proof American Gold Buffalo you’ll find the image of a Native American chieftain, captured in right-profile relief and featuring the same engraving of “Liberty” found on the original Buffalo Nickels.
The reverse of the coin features a depiction of Black Diamond, the animal that inspired Fraser’s buffalo design. Black Diamond was a resident bison at the Central Park Zoo in New York City during the early 20th century.
All American Gold Buffalo coins are struck by the United States Mint at its West Point Mint facility in New York. Only these Proof American Gold Buffalo specimens carry a “W” mint mark to identify the mint as the producer.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. A JM Bullion associate is available at 800-276-5608, online using our live chat, or via our email address.