One of the more unique American gold coins issued for circulation was the short-lived $3 US Gold Coin. Known as the Indian Princess for its depiction of Lady Liberty wearing an indigenous headdress, this coin was available from 1854 to 1889 from the US Mint and issued by four different branch mints. Right now, certified 1880 $3 Indian Princess Gold Coins are available to purchase online at JM Bullion.
- Arrives in a PCGS protective plastic slab!
- 27th year of issue for the $3 Indian Princess Gold Coin!
- Limited original mintages!
- Limited availability of certified coins!
- Contains .1451 Troy oz of actual gold content.
- Bears a face value of $3 (USD) backed by the federal government.
- Issued a Grade of Mint State 64 by the Professional Coin Grading Service.
- Lady Liberty on the obverse.
- A wreath surrounds the denomination and date on the reverse.
Each of the 1880 $3 Indian Princess Gold Coins available here at JM Bullion comes with certification from the PCGS. These coins earned Mint State 64 certifications, indicating coins that have average luster, several small contact marks, one or two heavy marks, and one or two small patches of hairlines.
The $3 Indian Princess was the fifth denomination of US gold coinage used in circulation. It was the last one introduced and one of the first removed. The US Eagle Series is the most famous among collectors with its $2.50, $5.00, $10.00, and $20.00 denominations, with $1 gold coins also available in the 19th century.
Lady Liberty is shown on the obverse of 1880 Indian Princess Gold Coins. This design comes from James B. Longacre and shows Liberty in left-profile relief wearing a feathered headdress. The nation of issue is engraved around her bust.
A wreath is shown in the reverse design element of $3 Indian Princess Gold Coins. Longacre chose corn, wheat, cotton, and tobacco for his wreath design and set the denomination of the coin, along with the date, at the center of the wreath.
If you have any questions when buying gold, please feel free to ask. JM Bullion customer service is available at 800-276-6508, online using our live chat, and via our email address.