There are a lot of reasons to consider the gold coins of the Liberty Gold Double Eagle range unique. After all, this one design series included three subtypes that offered subtle changes to the engravings over the course of 1849-1906. However, none of the coins in this range are more unique than the so-called SS Republic Liberty Gold Double Eagles. Today, 1861 Pre-33 $20 Liberty Gold Double Eagle SS Republic Coins are available to you online from JM Bullion with NGC certification.
- Available to you inside of protective plastic slabs from the NGC!
- Struck in 1861 by the United States Mint and never circulated!
- Limited availability of SS Republic Liberty Gold Double Eagles!
- Contains .9675 Troy oz of actual gold content.
- The face value of $20 (USD) is fully backed by the US government.
- Graded Mint State 62 by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.
- On the obverse is Lady Liberty in left-profile relief.
- The reverse side includes the image of the Great Seal of the United States of America.
- Designed by James B. Longacre.
These coins were struck by the United States Mint in 1861, but never entered wider circulation. In the lead up to the Civil War, Americans began hoarding gold coins as they viewed paper money with uncertainty as war loomed on the horizon. These particular 1861 Liberty Gold Double Eagles never found their way into circulation after the war because they sank along with $400,000 worth of gold coins on the SS Republic in 1861.
Recovered by the shipwreck in 2003, these 1861 Pre-33 $20 Liberty Gold Double Eagle SS Republic Coins have a Mint State 62 certification from the NGC. Coins in this condition have impaired or dull luster, clusters of small marks, and noticeable hairlines.
On the obverse of 1861 $20 Liberty Gold Double Eagle Coins is the first design, first subtype in the series. Introduced in 1849 by James B. Longacre, fourth Chief Engraver of the United States Mint, this design is known as the Liberty head coronet. She is featured in left-profile relief with a crown on her head that reads Liberty. 13 stars surround her bust, with the date mark at the bottom.
The reverse of 1861 Pre-33 $20 Liberty Gold Double Eagles features a design based on the Great Seal of the United States of America. Similar to the heraldic eagle, this features a bald eagle behind the national shield clutching arrows in one talon and an olive branch in the other. A major difference here though is the use of sunburst rays behind the eagles head.
Please dont hesitate to reach out to JM Bullion with your questions about gold coins for sale. You can call us at 800-276-6508, chat with us live online, or simply email us.