Fractional Silver Rounds Available from JM Bullion
When it comes to investing in silver precious metal products, most investors and collectors first think of silver bullion coin collections from sovereign mints. These coins are often highly coveted for their government-backed silver content and the beauty of their designs, but the reality is that those mints no longer have the market cornered.
As the investing and collecting industry for silver and gold matures, more private mints are opening that offer a variety of silver precious metal options for numismatists. Among them, fractional silver rounds offer what is unquestionably the greatest value. Their smaller weights deliver low premiums over the spot price of silver, even compared to 1 oz silver rounds, and they boast many of the same designs you’ll find on those beloved silver bullion coins from sovereign mints.
JM Bullion is proud to offer a variety of Fractional Silver Rounds for investors looking to dip their toe in the market for the first time, as well as avid collectors who struggle find their favorite bullion coin designs in stock with sovereign mints. Explore our collection of Fractional Silver Rounds below, which are conveniently broken down by the offering mint.
Suns of Liberty Mint (SOLM) Fractional Silver Rounds
Without question, the products from Suns of Liberty Mint are the most unique silver rounds you’ll find on the market today. The term “round” is used in the industry to distinguish silver precious metal products that have the size and shape of sovereign mint products, but lack the government-backed purity and legal tender status of a coin. Suns of Liberty Mint decided to further twist the selection with the use of octagonal “rounds.”
Each SOLM Fractional Silver Round available from JM Bullion has 45-degree cutoff corners, giving them the appearance of a square at first, but with the added dimension of an eight-sided appearance. To date, there are two designs available from JM Bullion in the SOLM Fractional Silver Round collection:
- 1/10 oz Standard Finish Suns of Liberty Silver Square: On the obverse of each 1/10 oz Standard Finish Suns of Liberty Silver Square you’ll find the markings of the square’s purity, metal content, and weight. The words “Troy Oz.” are engraved below as an indication of the weight measurement, while the numerical value of the weight is engraved in larger letters in the center. The reverse of all Suns of Liberty Silver Squares includes a repeating pattern set at a 45-degree angle. You’ll find the shorthand for the mint’s name, SOLM (Suns of Liberty Mint), the sun logo for the mint, and the square’s weight, purity, and metal content engraved on this side.
- ¼ oz Suns of Liberty Silver Square: The reverse side of these silver squares features the repeating image of the Suns of Liberty Mint’s logo, a small sun. Additional engravings include “Suns of Liberty Mint” and “.25 Troy Oz” across the round at a 45-degree angle. On the obverse of the ¼ oz Standard Finish Suns of Liberty Mint Silver Squares you’ll find the engraving of “.25” prominently stamped in the center of the design. Above it is the purity and metal content of the square, while the weight indicator “Troy Oz.” is featured below.
The 1/10 oz Suns of Liberty Silver Square is available in individual plastic flips, while ¼ oz SOLM Silver Squares ship in individual flips or canvas bags of 40. The 1/10 oz is available only in a standard finish, as is the ¼ oz. However, there is also a ¼ oz Suns of Liberty Silver Square available with a high luster finish that adds visual beauty to the product.
Located in the state of Pennsylvania, the Suns of Liberty Mint was founded by Dave Breger in 2011. Breger is a former US Army Special Forces Green Beret who began his silver pressing work in his apartment and a neighbor’s garage. Today, Suns of Liberty Mint occupies a manufacturing facility in Mount Holly Springs, PA.
Monarch Precious Metals (MPM) Fractional Silver Rounds
To date, Monarch Precious Metals has just one fractional silver round on the market. However, that shouldn’t take away from the absolute beauty found in this stunning product. For the first time, a private mint has refined a series of fractional silver rounds that are purposely struck with slight variations from one product to the next to ensure true uniqueness in each individual silver round.
Monarch Precious Metals purposely hand-stamped the designs on each round off center. This gives the coins a sense of old world charm and appearance, given the lack of precise coining presses prior to the modern era. To further enhance the appeal of these ½ oz rounds, Monarch applied an antiquing patina and anti-polish to give the coin’s a faded, centuries-old look.
The reverse side of the rounds features a scarab beetle in the center of the design, with an Eye of Horus found above it. Modern touches include the use of the Monarch Precious Metals logo, a crown formed by the letters “MPM,” and the engravings identifying the round’s weight, purity, and metal content.
On the obverse of each ½ oz Monarch Egyptian Silver Round is the image of an Egyptian mummy, captured in left-profile relief and surrounded by engravings and artwork commonly found in Egyptian tombs and artistry.
Monarch Precious Metals was founded in the Rogue Valley of southern Oregon in 2008. The mint was opened in response to the demand for silver and gold products in the midst of surging prices for various precious metals. More importantly, as a private mint Monarch fills a vital role in the precious metals industry.
The refinery creates demand for its products with unique, one-of-a-kind designs that originate from its hand-poured production processes and hand-stamped engravings. All of its products, gold and silver alike, have a minimum purity of .999 pure silver or gold.
Sunshine Mint Fractional Silver Rounds
One of the most visible precious metal brands in the American landscape is Sunshine Mint. This company is the only private American mint to feature an overseas presence, with locations in China that expand its reach globally with greater ease. Sunshine is known for producing silver rounds that replicate the designs of famous American coinage, but its fractional lineup focuses more on the brand of the mint itself.
Each ½ oz Sunshine Mint Silver Round has been crafted by the Sunshine Mint who is well known throughout the industry for their design expertise and superior quality products. Like their 1 oz counterparts, the 1/2 oz rounds also carry competitive premiums over spot making them a favorable option to physical silver investors.
The 1/2 oz Sunshine Silver Round bears the same iconic design and unique security features as many of the mints other products. On the obverse side of the round is the image of an eagle soaring in front of the sun. Stamped around the image are the words “Sunshine Minting.” The reverse side of each round contains stamps denoting its silver purity (.999) and weight of 1/2 troy ounce. Also located on the reverse of the round is Sunshine’s unique security feature which can be validated by using a Sunshine decoder lens.
Sunshine Minting Inc. is a privately-owned mint that was formed in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho in 1979. Today, it has operational facilities in Idaho and Nevada, with sales offices in Las Vegas, Nevada and Shanghai, China. It produces a wide variety of silver rounds and bars, with its bars the more popular of the two products.
Highland Mint (HM) Fractional Silver Rounds
Finally, Highland Mint follows in the footsteps of many other private American mints with the release of silver rounds bearing iconic American coin designs from the early 20th century. What sets Highland Mint apart from the vast majority of the competition is the availability of these designs on fractional silver rounds.
There are a total of three different historic US coin designs found on three different fractional silver round offerings from the Highland Mint. Below is a rundown of the available designs from American history on Highland Mint fractional silver rounds:
- Buffalo Silver Round: Depicting the famous design from James Earle Fraser’s 1913 Buffalo Nickel, this silver round’s obverse features a depiction of Black Diamond. The massive beast is depicted grazing on a small patch of grass. Engravings differ slightly from the Buffalo Nickel, and include only the weight, purity, and metal content of the round. On the reverse face of each silver round is the image of a Native American chieftain. Again, alterations have been made from the original engravings, with only the word “Liberty” appearing on this face and not a year of issue.
- Walking Liberty Silver Round: Both sides of the original Walking Liberty Half-Dollar were designed by sculptor Adolph A. Weinman. Elsie Stevens was his model for the Walking Liberty image as well as the Mercury dime. Weinman drew inspiration for his design of Lady Liberty from French coins designed by Oscar Roty, who depicted Lady Liberty as the sower of seeds of liberty with the sun rising at her feet. For the reverse side of the piece, Weinman adapted a design that he created for a medal for the American Institute of Architects. A pine sapling replaced a branch of laurel. The majestic eagle depicted in Weinman’s medal is highly praised for its powerful and stately presence and was adopted to be the symbol of the “Coat of Arms” banner that is still used today in political functions.
- Morgan Silver Dollar Round: Perhaps one of the most historically relevant designs from American history, the silver dollar introduced in 1878 by the United States Mint was created by George T. Morgan. His revived design of Liberty included a left-profile portrait of the Roman goddess on the obverse, with Anna Willess Williams serving as his inspiration for the portrait. Images on the obverse include the word “Liberty” in her crown, the phrase “E Pluribus Unum” above her head, and the 13 stars of the original American colonies surrounding her. The reverse includes an American bald eagle featured with its wings spread wide, and its talons clutching the arrows of war and olive branch of peace.
Highland Mint has made these fractional silver rounds available in a varying collection. There are two designs used in a 1/10 oz weight, that of the Buffalo Silver Round and Walking Liberty Silver Round. Move up to the ¼ oz weight, and you’ll find all three of the historic designs mentioned above offered in the collection. At the ½ oz weight, only the Walking Liberty Silver Round and Morgan Silver Dollar Round are available to purchase.
The Highland Mint is a private facility located in Melbourne, Florida. Founded in the 1980s, it is best known for its commemorative medals and licensed products for the NHL, NHLPA, MLB, NBA, and NFL, as well as the NCAA. JM Bullion carries a handful of silver rounds from Highland Mint, most notably the Buffalo Silver Round and the Walking Liberty Round. Both rounds feature designs from historic US Mint coins. Respectively, they are the Indian Head Nickel (1913-1938) and the Walking Liberty Half Dollar (1916-1948). As silver rounds, these products have no face value, but do have investing value with .999 pure silver.
Purchasing Fractional Silver Rounds from JM Bullion
When you shop with JM Bullion, you have a multitude of options for payment methods. We gladly accept Visa and MasterCard credit/debit cards for all purchase from our online catalog. You may also pay for your silver and gold bullion products with a paper check, bank wire transfer, or Pay Pal fund transfer.
Paper checks do take the longest time to clear authorization, averaging four to six business days. Credit and debit card purchases clear in one business day on average, while PayPal and bank wire transactions often clear immediately. These options release your purchases to our fulfillment queue the quickest, allowing us to expedite the process of getting your new precious metal products to your door.
When it comes to delivery, JM Bullion is proud to offer free shipping and insurance on all purchases. Your package will ship in discreet boxes courtesy of the United States Postal Service or UPS. We’ll provide you with a tracking number for your shipment within 24 hours of shipping. Should your package become lost, suffer damage, or prove to be the incorrect items we’ll work with your to correct the issue. JM Bullion’s offer of insurance covers a full refund of your purchase price if your products are lost or damaged. In the event we still have items in stock, we will replace lost or damaged items.
If you have any questions about these fractional silver rounds available via numerous private mints, please feel free to reach out to JM Bullion. Our associates are available to you on the phone at 800-276-6508. You can also live chat with us during business hours through our online service or send us an email anytime with your questions.