Ever since the 1848 Gold Rush, the state of California has been synonymous with gold. Today, California has one of the highest numbers of gold and silver coin dealers of any state in America.
Within the state, there are dozens of bullion dealers ranging from small to large. While gold is especially popular here given the state’s rich history of gold mining, there are also many dealers offering wide selections of silver bullion, rare coins, and paper currency.
Bullion Sales Tax in California
The state of California has a 7.25% sales tax. This applies to most small purchases of bullion or coins. There is an exemption available when purchasing more than $1500 in a single transaction. For this reason, many investors prefer to save up their money until they can invest at least $1,500 in coins or bullion through a single dealer.
Under California Sales and Use Tax Regulation 1599 (http://www.boe.ca.gov/lawguides/business/current/btlg/vol1/sutr/1599.html), “Tax does apply to sales of coins as collector’s items or as an investment” and “Tax applies to sales of gold or silver bullion.” However, there is an exemption in section 3 of this regulation for the sale in bulk of monetized bullion, non-monetized gold or silver bullion, and numismatic coins where the purchase price is $1,500 or higher. Note that paper currency remains taxable, with no similar large purchase exemptions.
There are additional city sales taxes in many areas of California. For example, when buying coins and bullion within the city of Los Angeles, the sales tax rate is 9%. Your purchase will be exempt from these additional taxes if you qualify for the state sales tax exemption outline above.
JM Bullion, being an out of state retailer, does NOT have to charge sales tax to California residents. Browse our selection of tax-free gold and silver products. Please note that we are not tax experts, and individuals may be liable to pay local Use tax.
Local Gold and Silver Dealers in CA
If you are looking for coin shops in specific cities located in the state of California be sure to check out our other local directory pages:
- Local coin shops in Anaheim, CA
- Local coin shops in Antioch, CA
- Local coin shops in Bakersfield, CA
- Local coin shops in Berkeley, CA
- Local coin shops in Burbank, CA
- Local coin shops in Carlsbad, CA
- Local coin shops in Chula Vista, CA
- Local coin shops in Clovis, CA
- Local coin shops in Compton, CA
- Local coin shops in Concord, CA
- Local coin shops in Corona, CA
- Local coin shops in Costa Mesa, CA
- Local coin shops in Daly City, CA
- Local coin shops in Downey, CA
- Local coin shops in El Cajon, CA
- Local coin shops in Elk Grove, CA
- Local coin shops in El Monte, CA
- Local coin shops in Escondido, CA
- Local coin shops in Fairfield, CA
- Local coin shops in Fontana, CA
- Local coin shops in Fullerton, CA
- Local coin shops in Fremont, CA
- Local coin shops in Fresno, CA
- Local coin shops in Garden Grove, CA
- Local coin shops in Glendale, CA
- Local coin shops in Hayward, CA
- Local coin shops in Huntington Beach, CA
- Local coin shops in Inglewood, CA
- Local coin shops in Irvine, CA
- Local coin shops in Jurupa Valley, CA
- Local coin shops in Lancaster, CA
- Local coin shops in Los Angeles, CA
- Local coin shops in Long Beach, CA
- Local coin shops in Modesto, CA
- Local coin shops in Moreno Valley, CA
- Local coin shops in Murrieta, CA
- Local coin shops in Norwalk, CA
- Local coin shops in Oakland, CA
- Local coin shops in Oceanside, CA
- Local coin shops in Ontario, CA
- Local coin shops in Orange, CA
- Local coin shops in Oxnard, CA
- Local coin shops in Palmdale, CA
- Local coin shops in Pamona, CA
- Local coin shops in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Local coin shops in Roseville, CA
- Local coin shops in Rialto, CA
- Local coin shops in Richmond, CA
- Local coin shops in Riverside, CA
- Local coin shops in Sacramento, CA
- Local coin shops in Salinas, CA
- Local coin shops in San Bernardino, CA
- Local coin shops in San Diego, CA
- Local coin shops in San Francisco, CA
- Local coin shops in San Jose, CA
- Local coin shops in San Mateo, CA
- Local coin shops in Santa Ana, CA
- Local coin shops in Santa Clara, CA
- Local coin shops in Santa Clarita, CA
- Local coin shops in Santa Maria, CA
- Local coin shops in Santa Rosa, CA
- Local coin shops in Simi Valley, CA
- Local coin shops in Sunnyvale, CA
- Local coin shops in Stockton, CA
- Local coin shops in Temecula, CA
- Local coin shops in Thousand Oaks, CA
- Local coin shops in Torrance, CA
- Local coin shops in Vallejo, CA
- Local coin shops in Ventura, CA
- Local coin shops in Victorville, CA
- Local coin shops in Visalia, CA
- Local coin shops in West Covina, CA
Below is a list of local precious metals dealers in California, including directions to each local shop.
Alhambra Coin Center
This nationally renowned coin dealer, serving California coin collectors for more than four decades, is one of the best-known coin shops in the country. They offer a balanced selection of rare coins and precious metal bullion, and they will also purchase coins and bullion from investors.
Alhambra can also assist you with appraisals, PCGS and NGC grading services, and setting up a precious metal IRA for retirement investment. In addition to selling to the public, Alhambra Coin Center is also a wholesaler, selling to other coin dealers across the country.
254 East Main Street
Alhambra, CA 91801
California Numismatic Investments
CNI is one of the largest bullion dealers in the country, enabling them to offer reasonable prices on a wide range of coins and bullion. Their buy and sell prices are published on their website, and many of their products can be purchased online.
Note that they do have a $2000 minimum order for online purchases. CNI does guarantee buybacks for any item purchased through them. Their customers enjoy free grading and appraisals, along with a 24-hour quote-line and 7 day return policy. Their beautiful showroom offers a must-see collection of coins, whether you are new to numismatics or an experienced investor.
525 West Manchester Blvd
Inglewood, CA 90301
This third-generation, family-owned store is one of Pasadena’s top destinations for coin collectors. At Coin Connection, the “customer is king.” They offer a wide selection of coins and bullion, along with personalized service to help you track down any bar, round, or coin. Their prices are based on up-to-date spot prices, as quoted by kitco.com. Coin Connection is a division of New Gold LLC.
31 W. Del Mar Boulevard
Pasadena, CA 91105
Liberty Coin Galleries
Over nearly five decades, Liberty Coin has handled more than half a billion dollars worth of transactions. Known as the largest coin dealer in the region, they are one of the biggest coin shops in the country. All of the products they offer are available for purchase through their online storefront.
Their store categories include bullion, certified coins, US Mint and United States coins, world coins, rolls of coins, and paper currency. Current precious metal prices are posted on their site. They buy gold, silver, and platinum bullion and coins, rare coins and currency, US Mint products, and gold jewelry.
2201 E. Willow Street, Suite AA
Signal Hill, CA 90755
Fresno Coin Gallery
For more than three decades, Fresno Coin Gallery has served as a Fresno institution. They are devoted to helping their local community and providing an opportunity for collectors and investors to learn more about numismatics.
In 2003, the shop expanded, allowing Fresno Coin Gallery to expand their offerings even further. They specialize in gold, silver, platinum, and palladium bullion. Because they actively buy from individuals, the selection is always changing; their showroom offers US and foreign coins, proof and mint sets, silver dollars, and ancient coins.
4616 N. Blackstone Ave.
Fresno, CA 93726
Trader Sam’s Coin & Stamps
In the heart of San Francisco’s Mission District, Trader Sam’s has served San Francisco coin collectors for nearly three decades. This shop offers free appraisals and price quotes, and all of their pricing is based on current precious metal spot prices, with live bullion quotes available over the phone.
Trader Sam’s buys and sells gold and silver coins, US and foreign coins and currency, gold and silver jewelry and precious metal scrap. Online sales are available through the Trader Sam’s online store and on eBay, though their showroom offers a more expansive selection than what is available online.
498 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
San Jose Coin Shop
Established in 1958, this is one of California’s oldest coin shops. For decades, San Jose Coin Shop has had a reputation for top-notch customer service and high quality coins.
This PCGS authorized dealer buys and sell US and foreign coins and currency, precious metal bullion, and scrap gold and silver. They can also help fulfill your coin want list.
1084 Meridian Avenue
San Jose, CA 95125
Baysavers, located in Fair Oaks, is here to meet all of your coin and bullion needs, and also offers a wide array of jewelry, stamps, collectibles, and coin collecting supplies. They even offer gold panning supplies, if you’d rather try your hand at panning for your own gold.
Their coin selection includes commemorative, proof, and mint sets along with silver and gold coins, rounds, bars, and scrap. Some of their products can be purchased through the website, while others — particularly precious metal bullion — cannot be purchased online; investors must call for pricing on these products.
8548 Madison Avenue
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
Local Gold and Silver Mints in California
Also browse the gold and silver mints local to California. Some of these mints offer retail products, while others are wholesale only.
This small private mint is headquartered in Los Angeles. They have very little online presence. Northstar mints silver bars in 10, 25, and 50 troy ounce sizes, as well as silver rounds carrying a classic liberty design. Their bars are fairly plain but well made; they can frequently be purchased through large silver dealers.
No Contact Information Available
San Francisco Mint
A branch of the United States Mint, the San Francisco Mint opened in 1854 to mint coins from the newly mined gold of the California Gold Rush.
Over its history, the mint has been responsible for minting many U.S. coins intended for circulation. Today, the San Francisco Mint is responsible for minting proof coinage. Coins originating here bear a mintmark of ‘S’.
155 Hermann St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
Golden State Mint
Golden State Mint is one of the country’s top private mints. Established in 1974, GSM has minted millions of silver, gold, and copper rounds and bars. They are particularly well-known for their one ounce and fractional silver rounds in Buffalo and Incuse Indian designs. Golden State Mint also mints custom designs. There is a 100 troy ounce minimum purchase when ordering directly from Golden State.
Great American Mint and Refinery Inc.
Great American Mint operates a cutting-edge precious metals refinery and bullion mint. They purchase gold and silver directly from dealers and individuals, then refine it and produce investment-grade bullion products.
Their Great American Mint rounds carry a classic eagle design, while the bars have a more nondescript appearance.
1020 North Armando Street
Anaheim, CA 92708
Thank you for reading our guide to gold and silver buying in California. If you know of any other coin or bullion shops in CA, please contact us so we can update our directory.